Wednesday, December 20, 2017

A "PR"etty Great Day!



Today has been an amazing day!

You may need to grab a cup of tea or coffee
and plan to relax and read through this
blog in a leisurely fashion. I apologize
in advance for its length but there were
just too many exciting things going on today!



We had an early wake-up to greet the
TV crew from Fox 10 Phoenix this AM!

6:50 AM

Here is my video of that coverage.


                               Stefania Okolie doing a "tease" for our segment



We are very grateful to Fox 10 Phoenix for the
opportunity to share this story!





This was an exciting experience despite the fact that
I didn't get to say a word and my name became Melissa today :)
Our daughter said that its only the second time in her
life that she has seen me stand quietly by Glenn's side. 
The other time was when he gave a toast at her wedding!











Glenn, Melissa, our niece, and her husband Greg

Melissa and Greg live in Philadelphia and are
bicycle commuters on a regular basis but have not
attempted long distance riding in the past.
They did just great today!










Our SAG vehicle is all decked out for the ride!
SAG- Support and Gear








8:16 AM Departure!




  


Greg, Melissa and Glenn were joined for the ride
out of Phoenix by avid cyclists and Phoenix residents
Adam Weber and David Carriere.  This ride has
personal meaning to Adam whose son survived 
cancer at the age of 4 and is now a healthy 12 year old!
Glenn was thrilled to have "locals" who know the
roads there to lead them out of the city!
Thanks Adam and David!







I headed out of Phoenix a few hours after Glenn, Melissa and 
Greg and, with the use of Google Maps Location Sharing
on Glenn's phone, I was able to meet up with them!





10:31 AM











I arrived in Wickenburg ahead of the riders to check in
and begin working on the blog!






11:41 AM







First trivia question of this journey:
How did Wickenburg, AZ get its name?

Click on the email Lynn and Glenn link to 
send us the answer.  First correct answer
wins a logo t-shirt!



1:29 PM



Glenn, Melissa and Greg rode into Wickenburg
but decided they had a few more miles
left in their legs so they set off after refueling
and were "rescued" by the SAG mobile later!






Click on this photo to hear audio!

\


I missed hearing the playback of this interview but I knew
it was on the air because I got texts from friends who had
heard the interview live!  Thanks for the heads-up!!!


From Gail Nussbaum Bado:
When I got in my car on 12/19,  Plash Phelps was talking about a bike rider who was raising money.  He mentioned a bike ride that started in New England and before it was complete the rider will have gone around the entire perimeter of the United States. At first I wondered if someone else was doing this besides Glenn and then he said,  “Glenn and his family are at the airport in Atlanta ready to board the plane to Phoenix”. He further explained that in California Glenn would be met by his family and they would ride to the Santa Monica Pier together as he completes his journey. 

I shouted to him “that’s Glenn” but obviously he didn't hear me. I didn’t care, I still yelled it out. I can’t explain how excited I was for Glenn, Lynn and their family to have this kind of publicity as they work so hard to raise funds for I Care I Cure, an organization formed in memory of their nephew. Having known Glenn since we were little I couldn't help but feel so proud of him and his family as they work so diligently to help eradicate childhood cancer.  

From Cort Neimark:
I was fortunate enough to catch the segment with Phlash Phelps on SiriusXM 60s on 6 this morning around 11:30 a.m. I heard Lynn give a wonderful perspective on Glenn’s current ride and background on his past rides around the USA. Great achievement! Also, the interview was a great promotion for the I care I cure I ride cause. Very well done. Congratulations. 

From Mindy Elkan:
So I happened to be in the car this morning around 11 picking up my granddaughter and Phlash Phelps on 60s on 6 started talking about the I Care I Cure ride that began today. Then he interviewed Lynn about how they met about a year ago and the ride that Glenn was doing starting today!  Lynn was great and poised and I was so excited that I just happened to be in my car at that time . It was great! 


  From Kathy Gadd:
Ray and I enjoy following the Adventures of Lynn and Glenn on the I Care I Cure I Cycle Blog.  It's even more fun when you are traveling back to the ATL and hear the latest interview with  Phlash Phleps on 60's on 6 XM radio!  We can say we know "rockstars".  Please pass along our best wishes to Glenn on this last leg of this amazing
10,000+ mile journey.







What a wealth of good news today!  Above is the link for
an article released today in Phoenix! 



Our Lakewood, NJ, friends pop up everywhere!
We were visited by Shelley Perlmutter when we
arrived.  His sister, Frima, is a long time friend and
a great supporter of I Care I Cure and now I think
we have won Shelley over too!





As the article above mentioned, we celebrated the 
last night of Hanukkah with family in Phoenix!
Thanks to the Gamiels, Ecksteins, Greens, Ellen Benshalom
 and Grandma Esther Shapera for their warm hospitality! 







What better Hanukkah gifts than I Care I Cure I Cycle Tee Shirts!





Photos from the Road
taken my Glenn and Greg


























REALLY?!?!?  348 miles to LA!!!






Open roads!










And so does the first day on the road!





This appears on the website of tonight's boutique motel




Sometimes on these rides we find the most wonderful hidden 
gems.  Tonight we happened to stay at My Place Suites in
Wickenburg, AZ.  The owner, Milla, is warm and welcoming and
absolutely lives and works by the quote above!








4:13 PM



Relaxing by the fire pit while waiting for
complimentary neck and shoulder massages!
The Myo Fascial Release type.






I am sure that this was a welcome surprise for the riders
after a long day on the road!  Thanks Milla for this treat!










 Today's stats!




















After reading articles, hearing the radio interview
and seeing the TV news segment here today, I'm sure I don't need
to write now about why we do this or about how important 
I Care I Cure is to us and to our family.   

Thank you for following the ride and for your support!
Feel free to share the blog with friends and family!


Click here to email Lynn and Glenn
CLICK HERE TO DONATE!







icareicure.org




7:44 PM



Cheers to a day well spent!





As promised, here is a photo from a past trip



November 2015
Apalachicola, Florida
The only time there was no SAG
vehicle and Glenn pulled his gear in a trailer!





5 comments:

  1. Great first day. Enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great start to your journey's end. I chuckled when reading Jill's comment. I kept waiting for Lynn to start talking😉 praying for a safe trip!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on a great first day!! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing press to hopefully spread the word about I Care I Cure! I love followzing the blog each day and look forward to hearing your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoyed reading your first day’s blog. What a blessing for Glenn to have such dedicated cyclists accompanying him on this last leg of this historic journey.

    Thank you Lynn for sharing the details of each day so those of us who love you both but can’t be there in person can experience it al9ng with you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome! Cheer us on!