Monday, November 27, 2017

Guest Post from Jill for #GivingTuesday


In just over a month, my dad will be set to accomplish the totally awe-inspiring feat of riding his bicycle around the perimeter of this gigantic country of ours.  He has climbed mountains, biked through valleys, forded some streams, crossed over bridges, skirted some cities and braved his way through others, and witnessed some amazing scenery from the seat of his bike.


Despite some nasty spills, many flat tires, faulty equipment, some bad weather, and  fierce headwinds, he has always picked himself up to keep on pedaling day after day and mile after mile.  I know this is true because I waited (mostly) patiently for the "I'm OK" or "I'm done for the day" text or phone call after most every day on the road.  As he prepares to wrap up this final leg of the ride I look forward to joining the rest of my family to ride with him when he crosses his finish line on the Santa Monica Pier.


I have been watching my dad ride off on his bike for as long as I can remember and was even given a chance to join him from time to time.

PSA: All riders should wear helmets!

Growing up in central Pennsylvania, one of my favorite memories was bike riding together to our local library to pick out some new books.  While I still share my dad's love of reading, I'm afraid I can't keep up with his drive to ride.  For those who don't know, my dad has kept daily, weekly, monthly, yearly mileage goals for himself and rides his bike to work whenever he can.

He is one determined fellow and has been lucky to have my mom's support throughout this amazing journey.  She's been there to pack him up, pick him up, boost his spirits, bring him snacks, and keep him company along the way.  And thanks to her for blogging so that the rest of us could follow along on their adventure!



My dad began his ride around the country with a bike tour from Seattle to DC to support the American Lung Association.


Since then, he has ridden to raise funds for I Care I Cure, a cause that is so important to our family and to anyone who has watched a child battling cancer and suffering immensely due to the harsh treatments.  The research that the organization is funding is critical and I am proud of my parents for raising awareness.  On this Giving Tuesday, I hope you'll donate to the cause in honor of my dad's amazing accomplishment and every mile that he has pedaled in memory of my cousin Ian.


My kids never got the chance to meet Ian, but they have heard lots of stories about him and what a funny, caring, bright, sporty, curious, and amazing kid he was.  He loved being with family and he always made me laugh!

We rode with my dad when he passed through Maryland on his trip up the East Coast Greenway and again when he crossed the Canadian border after the biked through Maine.



We're all looking forward to riding with him in California and we'll just hope my biking skills have improved since my first days without the training wheels.


Song clip from Queen's "Bicycle Race"
For those who want to see more footage from this big day, click here.

Thanks to all of you who have been supporting I Care I Cure I Cycle over the years.  My parents have especially appreciated those of you who have joined them along the way.  Let us know if we can hope to see you at the finish line next month!

Donate today at http://www.icareicure.org/icycle2017/






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome! Cheer us on!