Thursday, September 20, 2012

Another Day, Another State!



Ten States Down, Five to Go!

Glenn took off by 8 this AM from the bike/jog trail along the Westside
Highway in lower Manhattan.  The ride north in Manhattan was one of the most
relaxing for Glenn since he didn't have to consult his cue sheets or worry about
what turns to make or how bad the traffic would be.  The fun ended when
he got lost in the Bronx.  Not a good place to get lost!  The ride continued 
through Pelham, New Rochelle, Mamaraneck, Harrison and Port Chester. 
After leaving NY, it was a long day up the east coast of Connecticut through 
Stamford, Darien, Southport, Fairfield and into New Haven. Glenn even
caught a glimpse of the Long Island Sound at points.  The sun was shining
most of the day but some big gray clouds caused some concern.  No rain
ever appeared, thankfully!  Glenn didn't make it to the hotel where I have 
been waiting for him since 4 PM.....His cousin Michael Alevy, who
lives in New Haven, rescued him from the dark, unfamiliar 
roads just five miles from the hotel at 7:30.  We aren't used to being
this far east.  It gets dark much earlier than in Atlanta!
Thanks, Mike!


Stats for today are pretty incredible for an "old guy"!
8 hrs, 22 min of riding time but 11 hrs and 10 min in total 
99.52 miles...almost a century
4958 calories expended....we better carb load tonight!
4425 ft. elevation....not big hills just a lot of gentle up and down.





Glenn's riding buddy for this morning was Michael Pollack,
a young friend from our years in Lebanon, PA who now lives and bikes 
in NYC.  I had breakfast with his Mom, Hanna and sister-in-law, 
Dorel, at the same time but, sadly, forgot to take a picture!
Thanks Pollacks for sharing the morning with us!



Today's Trivia!
Name this bridge and win a t-shirt!
Answer will be revealed in the next blog post.




Glenn's view of Riverside Church near
Columbia University.




This was a first!  I happened upon Glenn in
Mamaraneck, NY!  I had no idea I was anywhere near
his route!  Surprised both of us!  We couldn't have 

planned it any better!   




Glenn's appearance in Mamaraneck, NY was a surprise to me and to
our long-time friend, Marilyn Kneller-Rimsky, who was meeting me
for lunch and for a much needed catch-up session!

Very cute downtown area



I was thrilled to spend a few hours along today's route in West Chester, NY
with Marilyn Kneller-Rimsky and Rikki Leifer Kaplan, friends from
HS in New Jersey.  Glenn does the hard work and I play!








Finally, Glenn found this East Coast Greenway marker on the road.
That makes his navigating so much easier!





Glenn's cousin, Michael and Gina rescued Glenn at the
end of today's ride.  Now off with them to Carb Load!




As a kid I had a dream - I wanted to own my own bicycle. When I got the bike I must have been the happiest boy in Liverpool, maybe the world. I lived for that bike. Most kids left their bike in the backyard at night. Not me. I insisted on taking mine indoors and the first night I even kept it in my bed. ~ John Lennon

Glenn's bike by his bed for the night!



Mystery to Solve
One of you out there in cyberland has been following us everyday and
writing wonderful posts to us but they are coming through to us as 
being from "UNKNOWN".  Please email me to let me know who you
are.  We love hearing from you!  Write to us at lynnhirsch@yahoo.com



Tomorrow's ride will begin in New Haven, CT and take us
to Willimantic, CT east of Hartford.  CT is a BIG state!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome! Cheer us on!